Time for more One Room Challenge updates! I don’t know about you, but I really look forward to seeing how all the other participants are doing each week. There are so many talented designers involved in the challenge this spring, and it’s really fun watching their ideas take shape.
After the new bed was installed last week, we were left with the old bed that no one would want. Since we don’t have access to a car at the moment, getting rid of it wasn’t a simple matter of hauling it to the Goodwill and forgetting all about it. So I took it apart, and stacked the pieces in our spare room until I could figure out what to do with it. The bed was unfinished wood, and a really simple design -basically a rectangle with slats down the middle. The slats reminded me of all the pallet DIY projects floating around Pinterest, and it occurred to me that I should use them to build something!
There were only a few problems with this idea: I have no furniture building experience, don’t own the proper tools, and I hate being precise. I never appreciated why answers to maths problems need to be so exact. I round up or down depending on my mood, and my attitude towards most things is “close enough.”
I tried to keep this self-awareness in mind when coming up with a design for my furniture project. I decided I wanted to build something that would fill the void on either side of our bed, but I knew it needed to be realllly simple. I quite like the look of vintage crates as side tables, and I thought how hard could it be to make a box?
With that vision in mind, I got to work. The first step was to convince Andrew to let me buy a circular saw.
Once the saw was purchased, I started to actually design the side tables. The only thing I will say about this process is that a plan eventually just evolved. I measured the space next to our bed, and came up with dimensions that would just barely fit a nightstand while allowing the door to close.
Then I waited for Andrew to leave the house long enough for me to get to work. He absolutely forbid me to use the saw by myself since we don’t have a proper saw table, but out of kindness to both of us, I went ahead without him because I know the sight of me casually measuring things is hideous to his perfectionist brain. I managed to secure 6 ft long slats between two dining chairs using lots of books to hold them in place. (After I proudly told my parents about this achievement, they ordered sawhorses and safety goggles for me! Thanks parents for not letting me hurt myself.)
I’ll spare you the photos of me dangerously wielding a saw. Just know that no one was harmed in the making of these nightstands.
Somehow I was able to produce the pieces I needed to build a rectangle. Andrew did help me screw the boards together, complaining the whole time that the edges weren’t straight, and the corners weren’t square. Details. When the whole thing came together, bearing a strong resemblance the design I had drawn, he said it was a miracle. WHERE IS YOUR FAITH HUSBAND?!
I painted them with white primer borrowed from another project. I like that it makes them still look rustic without clashing with the stain on our bed.
Here’s how they turned out! Are they perfect? No. Are they perfectly square? Maybe not. Are they delightful? Yes. Even Andrew is impressed with how well they turned out.
There’s still a lot to do in the next few weeks, but I’m trying keep the list short and manageable. I still need to:
- Sort out the curtain situation
- Install sconces/lighting
- Update bedding/pillows
- Style EVERYTHING
I tried to make the nightstands look cute for the photos, and I discovered that building them was the easy part, and *for me* styling is much more difficult. I second-guess my decorating decisions, and the whole process feels so overwhelming. I don’t know how Joanna Gaines does it!
Be sure to check out what the other ORC bloggers are up to here.
*If you want to check out even more bloggers, stop by Thoughts of Home on Thursday.